PAGAN JOURNAL PROMPTS
WHY IS JOURNALING IMPORTANT FOR MENTAL HEALTH?
According to the University of Rochester Medical Center, the emotional and physical benefits of journaling are many. As children, we might have kept a diary where we wrote all of our hidden hopes & dreams. We could do this in a safe place without judgement or punishment, assuming our parents could respect our privacy.
I began journaling a few years ago. Not only was it a great way to express bottled up creativity, it also became a place for me to vent some of my anger and frustrations. As a survivor of childhood trauma and a bipolar person, journaling gave me an outlet for all of my darkest, most personal thoughts.
The wonderful thing about journaling is that you don’t need to share what you’ve written about. It also means you don’t have to be a great poet or best-selling author to get your thoughts on paper (or typed out in a word document.) You don’t need to post your thoughts online unless you want to in the form of a blog or some other media. This is your private world and you are in control of what thoughts you illustrate.
THE BENEFITS OF JOURNALING
There are many benefits to journaling. I think one of the most important reasons to journal is releasing trauma. Your journals don’t have to be all smiles and roses. Allow yourself to express those darker thoughts. Let them out, sit with them, and cry if you feel compelled. It’s okay to cry, be angry, or yell.
Some other great benefits of journaling include:
- Reducing anxiety
- Facing depression
- Lowering blood pressure
- Gaining perspective so you can move forward
- Finding talking points to discuss with your therapist
- Recognizing your deepest fears so you can face them
- Managing depression in a healthy, and creative way
- Recognizing patterns in depression and mood. This one has been a huge help for me!
- Expressing ideas so you can plan ahead for the future!
- A wonderful way to identify unproductive thoughts.
HOW JOURNALING CAN HELP PAGANS & WITCHES
As a Pagan or a Magickal practitioner, journaling can provide some awesome benefits to your spiritual life. We can journal rituals and spells, track our dreams, and have a deeper connection with our Gods if that is something we choose for ourselves.
TIPS FOR JOURNALING
- Don’t expect the words to come pouring out right away. Sometimes it takes time. Be patient with yourself.
- Try to write at the same time every day. This can be one of those small, 5-10 minute rituals for self care.
- You don’t need to write a novel – unless you want to!
- Don’t judge yourself on spelling or grammar. This is an outlet for healing, not a spelling bee or a graded college thesis.
- Breath deep and sit with your emotions. When they come, let them out!
- You’ve got this!
HERE ARE SAMPLES OF JOURNAL PROMPTS I’VE USED FOR MYSELF. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE YOURS, PLEASE FEEL FREE.
“The purpose of ritual is to wake up the old mind in us, to put it to work. The old ones inside us, the collective unconscious, the many lives, the divine eternal parts, the senses and parts of the brain that have been ignored.” – Zsuzsanna Budapest How do you define Paganism? How do youContinue reading “10 JOURNAL PROMPTS FOR ESTABLISHING A PAGAN IDENTITY”
“The moon is a loyal companion. It never leaves. It’s always there, watching, steadfast, knowing us in our light and dark moments, changing forever just as we do. Every day it’s a different version of itself. Sometimes weak and wan, sometimes strong and full of light. The moon understands what it means to be human.Continue reading “10 JOURNAL PROMPTS FOR SPIRITUAL EXPRESSION”
“The Gods and Goddesses of myth, legend and fairy tale represent archetypes, real potencies and potentialities deep within the psyche, which, when allowed to flower permit us to be more fully human.” – Margot Alder Do you believe in the existence of Gods and Goddesses? Have you ever interacted with a God or Goddess? WhatContinue reading “10 DEITY JOURNAL PROMPTS”