There’s this invisible force in the universe which seems to have such an impact on the daily lives of Pagan folk. If you wander around the online Pagan communities, you’ll eventually hear about this unseen energy having a very real & direct impact on relationships, activities, & even mood. What is this nonsense? What’s causing Pagans to feel sad or hopeless?
Vibes, man. It’s all about those groovy vibes.
Without sounding too much like the stereotypical flamboyant Sarasota, Florida resident I grew up as, vibrations are these mystical forces which seem to rise & fall depending on the activities we engage ourselves in. For the longest time, I heard people saying, “You need to raise your vibrations.” What does that even mean?
It could be a case of semantics. Vibrations could be another word for “habits.” Science tells us our daily habits can have a huge impact on our social, emotional, & physical well being. We know things like smoking cigarettes, eating a diet consisting of fast food, or extended periods of isolation (hello, 2020, I haven’t forgotten you) can wreak havoc on our health. If you live in modern society, you’re well acquainted with what can lower our vibrational energies. What can we do, as Pagans, to raise them up & improve our overall life experience?
- Sleep! I can not stress enough how important getting a good night of sleep is imperative for a healthy mental state. If you’re not sleeping, look into ASMR videos on Youtube, carefully research natural alternatives such as chamomile tea, or perhaps consult a medical professional for additional advice. If you’re having nightmares, consider keeping a dream journal & writing them out. Believe it or not, writing them out can really help your subconscious mind deal with the symbolism it’s trying to communicate.
- Read. Reading, in my opinion, is a powerful form of meditation. The act of reading a book instantly transports you to another place! Fantasy books such as Anne Mccaffrey’s Dragon Riders of Pern series or Terry Pratchett’s Discworld can lift Pagans away from the boring mundane world. If you have trouble concentrating for long periods of time, try pacing yourself to only read a few paragraphs at a time. Put the book down, do something else. Any form of reading can be really beneficial!
- Unplug! Go outside & get into nature. It doesn’t matter what time of year it is, getting into the natural world can put things in perspective for Pagans. Take time to hug a tree, pet a rock, or visit a cool off-grid Pagan church. You won’t regret it & the Vitamin D coming from sunlight will have a dramatic effect on your mood. You might even find some cool, like-minded people out in those woods. 🙂
- Perform a healing ritual. People tend to think that rituals are only for holidays or big groups. Personal rituals are just as powerful as group rituals for the solitary practioner. If you need some ideas for rituals, you can look at this blog or find a multitude of positive healing rituals on Pinterest. If you are doing this for yourself, don’t stress on perfection. Spontaneous rituals in nature can have intense effects on your personal state of being. Remember, ritual works best when it’s done more than once. Try a small 5 minute ritual every day such as looking into a mirror & speaking affirmations into it. If you’ve never done this before, you’ll be amazed at the results.
- Get enough water. Hydration is key. Most people don’t drink enough water every day & it can have detrimental effects on the human body such as insulin resistance, high blood pressure, & kidney failure. There’s a fun (and mostly free) app on IOS called Water Llama which helps find your target amount of hydration based on your biology & track your progress! You can charge your water bottles in moonlight to give them a little extra magickal kick!
- Exercise! People tend to shy away from exercise because they envision it being 3 hours of hardcore working out in a gym. It doesn’t have to be. Science tells us that even 30 minutes of walking a day can have a positive effect on our mental health & our waistlines. You can combine your Unplugging time by taking a hike in the woods, going for a swim, or riding a bike. Take your pet with you! Explore the wilderness, take pictures, & get your heart pumping! I suggest consulting you doctor before starting any rigorous exercises. There are even low-impact exercise programs on YouTube available for free that you can do in the comfort of your bed or couch.
- Don’t let the haters hate. Sometimes the biggest hurdle we face when we’re trying to heal ourselves are the people who try to bring us down. They might be jealous or abusive, or they could be doing it subconsciously. The reason don’t really matter, however, the effect of their toxicity has a real shock to our systems. One thing to keep in mind is it isn’t personal. This person just wants to be angry or hate the world. It’s on them. Search for folks who support your efforts to raise your vibrations, make you laugh, or challenge your mind. Forget everyone else. No relationship (be it blood relations or not) is worth losing your mind. People who will hate you & people who will love you exist. In my experience, when I learned to accept that bit of wisdom, I found myself to be a much happier Pagan.
There you go! A list of how to raise those vibrations up & be the very best Pagan you can be! These steps aren’t the only things out there that will help. I want to state that a Pagan doesn’t have to go out & buy $1000 of crystals or a hundred self-help books. You don’t need money to raise your vibrations, you’ve got the tools inside your spirit.
Thanks for reading, fellow Pagans! If you have any questions, comments, or constructive criticism please don’t hesitate to reach out to me here, on our website, or the Deeply Rooted Group on Facebook.