Bipolar disorder is a brain chemistry imbalance which affects the lives of roughly 2.6% American adults according to the Depression & Bipolar Support Alliance. People with BPD sometimes struggle maintaining healthy connections & long-term careers due to the nature of this malady. BPD can be emotionally & physically exhausting, causing abrupt changes in normal day-to-day routines. One day you’ll feel like you’re an unstoppable God whose whose able to bend reality to your will & the next day you might feel like a worthless impostor who everyone secretly hates.
Bipolar disorder is a witch!
And so am I. I am bigger (& cooler) than some stupid old disorder!
I was diagnosed with BPD in the fall of 2019. I had long suspected that something just wasn’t right with my brain chemistry. Since then, I’ve been slogging through the muck of healing myself from past trauma. I’ve learned to recognize my triggers, surf my emotions through the darkest nights, & when to pull back when my energy is surging through the roof. It’s not easy, however, it is possible.
I’m writing this article for other Pagans struggling with mental illness. You’re more than a diagnosis. Being labeled with something doesn’t limit who you are or define you completely. You can rise above whatever life stamps you as & use it to your advantage. How? Well, we’re Pagans! Whether we practice Magick or not, here are some tips to help you through the darkest times.
- Seek professional help: I can not stress enough how finding the right doctors, therapists, medications, or therapies is essential to soaring up from the ashes of mental illness. Don’t feel like this makes you less of a person or have your pride stand in the way of what you can really accomplish! There is no shame in going to a doctor for a cold, so there should be no shame in seeking help for anything else!
- Find your support: You can not, & I stress this, do it alone. On top of therapists & doctors, humans need friends! People who build you up, tell you the truth even when it’s hard to say it, & those who support your efforts to heal. Be wary of anyone who says they are going to “take you under their wing” or “be your teacher.” Real friendship comes in the form of actions & oaths honored. I found this really cool church who has been an integral part of my recovery. 🙂
- Use Magick! If you are the type of Pagan who is of the persuasion of using Magick to heal, please utilize this powerful tool. There are millions of spells out there to help you on Youtube, Pinterest, Tumblr, Tiktok, & every other social media outlet that exists! Magick is only effective if you are doing physical (mundane) world actions to compliment it. If you need help with some Magick in this theme, don’t hesitate to reach out to me, I know plenty of resources!
- Pour your heart into your passion. The thing that keeps me going sometimes is my hobbies. Whether I’m working on Deeply Rooted related material, horse artwork, or making crafts from found objects from my hiking trips, these actions pull me through the darkest, lowest days!
- Journal! This therapy, in my humble opinion, is one of the most robust treatments available. It’s something anyone can do! You don’t have to share it with the world. Just letting out anger or stress in the form of words can get it out of your mind & make room for brighter thoughts! You could share your experiences with the world in the form of a blog or a twitter. As a good friend once told me, “It doesn’t have to be perfect, it just needs to be done!”
Above all, I just want to remind you that where ever you are on your spiritual healing journey,
You can do this!
Thank you for reading. Don’t hesitate to reach out with comments, questions, or if you need additional resources. Blessed Be – Shining Quill the Unicorn
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Anxiety & Depression Association of America
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD)
- International OCD Foundation
- Deeply Rooted Church Public Facebook Group (We aren’t professionals, however, we can support one another as Pagans!)